Friday, February 11, 2011

one o'clock in the morning

I sent my one remaining dealer (I'll just call him Dude) a text message before I went to bed at 11, letting him know that I would like it if he came through either tonight or in the morning. Of course, I've been trying to get a hold of him for 2 days (both at night AND in the morning) so I didn't have very high expectations. I didn't blow up his phone, I didn't continue texting him, I just went into the room and went to sleep after Bones was over. I was awoken at 1am by the cellphone ringing- it was Dude and he was 5 minutes away. I stumbled out of bed, shuffled through my cash to find the appropriate amount to buy 4 blues, piled on 50 layers of clothing (I don't think it will give away my location to simply say that it's FREEZING where I live) and lurched half-asleep into the driveway to meet Dude. My dad was still awake, so I wonder if he suspects me. He could just think I was going out to smoke a cigarette, I doubt he thinks I'm "just getting trees" (they don't care about my marijuana smoking) because no one crawls out of bed to buy trees at 1 am. I get outside, and what a sketchbag, Dude is curled up in the backseat of his own truck whispering about cops. This is my last buy from this weirdo, I thought to myself as I handed over the cash and he handed over the drugs.

I get back inside, put the pills away, and lay back down in bed when I realize I can't get back to sleep. It had been 8 hours since my last dose. I could have probably made it through the night if I had stayed asleep (although I would have woken up just as sick as I did yesterday morning) but once I was awake, I was awake until I got well. So I had to sniff up a half, hiding in the corner of my room under the nightlight so nobody saw me. I have never felt more like a junky in my life than I did last night, shivering next to the nightlight at 1am, crushing up a piece of a pill so I could snort it and go back to sleep. That didn't make me feel good at all, well physically it helped quite a bit but not in any other way.

Being a junky is a real balancing act sometimes- enough drugs to feel good but not enough to get high and nod off, enough caffeine (nonfat lattes and Pepsi Max) to get through the day and counteract the drugs and suppress my appetite but not enough to get hyper and have my heart pounding, enough sleep to function but not too much to where I wake up in bad withdrawals. Throw weed and nicotine in there and I'm a damn mess (weed is only at night or on the way home from school though- I don't feel addicted to the weed because I don't obsess over it like I do the blues). The seesaw is perfectly balanced right now though... until I make some espresso.

I wanted to write about 2 things that were said in the comments here, as well as on other blogs where I have commented. One is the whole "underweight/emaciated" thing, and the other is the "bad parent" thing. Am I "underweight" or "emaciated"? Absolutely not! I will admit that since I started using drugs in August, I have lost over 40lbs. But that's not just because of the drugs, in fact one of the reasons I started using drugs to begin with is that I liked the way they completely killed my appetite. I started out my run fat. Not drastically so, but heavy enough to be worried because obesity does run in my family and I, at 5'1, was tipping the scales at 167lbs. It was mostly tied into the way I ate (as is the case with most fat people) because I didn't really exercise any restraint when it came to the foods I wanted and also because I cook and I cook well. Starting every dish I made with half a stick of organic butter was standard, and I always left room for dessert. Cream sauce, cheesecake, beurre blanc, pastries, muffins, chips with dip, candy, and cheese are my biggest weaknesses food-wise. I would just eat and eat and eat and then go out and buy bigger clothes and an even bigger bag of Cape Cod potato chips.

Being big didn't make me feel very good about myself, so I started a weight-loss regimen. I didn't want to go on a "diet" because that screams not only "restriction" but also "temporary". I didn't want to starve myself into losing 10lbs and then celebrate with a raspberry cheesecake like so many others in my family. So I started eating healthier, slurping down more caffeine (I'm afraid of real uppers or diet pills), and eating healthy snacks throughout the day so I didn't gorge myself at dinner. Breakfast is fruit and sometimes cereal, then throughout the day I eat fruit, granola bars, and the occasional pastry we make at school since I'm in the bakeshop now. Instead of eating 5 pastries though, I limit myself to 1 or 2 (depending on size and type). Dinner is when I make my beloved fattening foods, not every night but a couple nights a week. The other night we ate broiled fish with an all-fruit/veggie tomato sauce and whole-grain black rice, but the night before that it was cheese-filled whole-grain raviolis. Nothing wrong with cream sauce once in a while, if it's balanced out by my diet the rest of the day. It feels good to not have forbidden foods, and it's worked for me a lot.

Another reason I eat so healthy is because R has severe food restrictions. She has bloody diarrhea when she eats her "forbidden" foods, and since an allergy panel as well as several tests done by her doctor came back normal, I have figured it out myself by keeping her a food journal where I list everything she eats and drinks and all of her bowel movements (gross, but part of being a good mom in my case). The journal has worked wonders, and I now know exactly what foods she can't have without incident: uncooked milk (although she can eat yogurt, cheese, butter, and cooked dairy), soy protein/lecithin/flour, white flour (all she can have is whole grains), and any dish with a high fat content such as a fried item or my beloved cheesecake. That sounds terrible, but it's actually beneficial to both of us. I feed her extremely healthy meals, and that forces me to eat healthier myself because I don't want to be a hypocrite or make her cry by eating her forbidden foods right in front of her. Switching from white bread to sprouted-grain isn't that big of a change, nor is fettucine to whole-wheat spaghetti or milk to almond milk. I make her special cookies that only have 1tbsp of canola oil per 25 and 100% whole grain flour and oatmeal along with quite a bit of dried fruit, and she is happy with her diet.

This actually leads right into my other point- am I really a bad mommy because of the drug I use? Really and truly? I honestly don't think so. All the people who know nothing of my addiction praise me for being a loving, caring, and attentive mother to R and she is always so happy to be around me. A bad mother wouldn't make sure her sensitive toddler had cookies or fresh strawberry sorbet to eat for dessert (since ice cream, with it's uncooked cream and high fat content, is out of the question). A bad mother wouldn't search the school bakeshop for whole-wheat cake flour and fun cookie cutters on sugar-cookie day to make a small batch of R-safe cookies shaped (and frosted) like pink pigs in addition to all my other assignments that day. A bad mother wouldn't sit down and watch these horrible preschool cartoons with the kid just to have a chance to "cuddle-snuggle" as she says. A bad mother wouldn't take her kid for a jog when she felt sick to her stomach, or hell, keep a detailed food journal complete with poop inspections to spare the kid any pain or discomfort. I do all of these things, and a whole lot more. Are all of these things negated by ONE aspect of my life? Is everything I do for her meaningless because I choose to smoke oxy after R goes to sleep for the night and is safe and warm under her HOMEMADE quilt? It doesn't make any sense to say that.

I am a good mother. I've always been a good mother. I never used any drugs during my pregnancy (I did smoke cigarettes for the first 2 months before I found out about her existence, but I quit right after the EPT showed 2 lines) and I never have been high in front of her. I might use drugs while she is with me (NEVER in front of her, R has never seen any drugs) but I don't do enough to get high during the day. I do half the amount it takes to get high just to get "normal". It's like booze- there's nothing wrong with having a glass of wine while eating dinner with your kids (as long as you don't have to drive after). It's very different from chugging down the bottle and acting drunk right in their faces. R has never seen me nod out, or drive under the influence (I don't drive anyway, so that's not an issue with us), or be unable to function in any way because of my use. I shelter her, as a 2 1/2 year old should be sheltered. I'm a good mother with a personal problem that I don't allow to affect her. She couldn't ever find anyone else who loves her as much as I do. She's my R, and she's my universe. Drugs will always be after her on my list of priorities- not even second because school is second.

7 comments:

  1. You are in serious denial, kiddo. Get help before you lose everything, including your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you say that after reading less than a week's worth of my writing? You, Matthew, don't really know enough about me to make the call whether or not I'm in denial. Also, what a frustrating allegation to make at someone, a stranger especially! What the hell can you do, deny that you're in denial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this junkie thing i was talking about is something that takes years to develop and as i say it affects everyone diferently underweight it just one presentation what i mean is if you carry it will eventually be clear to anyone who knows you well that all is not right and people on the street may well pick up on this too. they may not know what's wrong but they'll sense something is amiss, this is what i'm talking about

    your dealer sounds to me like he's spending that money on crystal meth or crack. that's what will put him cowering on the back seat muttering about police! crack is such a lovely drug i had such fun hearing voices because i'd piped 24/7 for days on end oh it added such value to my life

    look i'm not trying to tell you to stop but you obviously have a thing going on where you know you got a problem because you're talking about waking up sick and sooner or later the shit does hit the fan for all of us. it could be 10 years or 20 years or it could be tomorrow. financially, socially, legally usually in at least one of those ways or if you're into hardcore uppers it could be your mental wellbeing

    you raiseed the issue and i'm just answering you sorry if i'm a bit direct. i'm not for one moment suggesting everything i say will happen to you, i'm only saying this is what typically happens to opiate addicts and you need to know this stuff

    and as i say you also need to keep drugs and paraphernalia well stashed preferably separately

    i don't know the american law but it might be illegal to have a spoon with residues on it, in which case make sure you use your cottons or throw them away eg in an old coke can

    and be careful that nobody can bust you by going through your trash, not neessarily police i mean friends and family

    to be honest i wasn't sure exactly what it was you wanted to hear so i'm telling you everything that comes off the top of my head if you think i'm talking shit, ask someone else with a few years' mileage behind them and they'll put you straight

    you should never rely on one person's viewpoint anyway your'e a grown man, you already have your own and the longer you take drugs the more you'll have your own ways of doing things

    just for your own sake stay safe

    did you say you're not on the needle? so how do you take oxy? i heard you can chase it the way people chase Afghan heroin or crystal, off of tinfoil through a foil tube...

    i was never stupid enough to think i wouldn't become a heroin addict if i took heroin enough but what did surprise me was that i turned into such a needle freak and you know what turned me on to needles? saving money!

    also from what i know heroin is cheaper than that oxy stuff. i don't get how that can be ... or is it the guaranteed strength aspect that adds a premium on pills?

    like i say we don't really have a pill-injecting sene here. i was on heroin daily for 10 years and never banged up a pill, apart from estasy, once just to try it IV, but never opiates and i'm not at all unusual our drugs scene is just a bit different and we're supplied from Afghanistan which had a massive heroin glut during the entire period of my heavy using so heroin was very very cheap especially a few years ago. about half the price of cocaine when weight/purity are taken into account

    anyway i'll piss off now i hope at least 1 thing i said was useful. come by to mine and read down you'll find something interesting (eventually!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps yeah i know you're not on uppers. i'm talking times future. i wasn't on crack when i started heroin it took me 5 years to get into crack enough to binge on it

    i'm trying to say drug addiction changes you and you're pretty powerless to resist the change. once it gets you you just do not care about shit that used to be important to you and as the cliche goes, the drug(s) become the be all and end all

    don't pretend you don't know what i'm talking about i know you do i sense in everything you say that you're shit scared in some little way, as any rational person would be, that you're getting out of your depth

    EVERYBODY is out of their depth in addiction. that's what addiction is. it's like slow drowning. chances are you won't die, but it's a tough job swimming to shore once you get washed out in that rough sea out there

    ReplyDelete
  5. why the fuck did i think you were a grown man not a grown woman

    so sorry

    see what i mean this is what years of addling my brainbox plus a week with barely any sleep have done to me!

    no i'm not on anything except methadone and a tiny bit of drink

    those bastards think i'm a bipolar now and no i don't think it was caused by drugs, worsened maybe but not caused. i looked into all this shit and my mum has recurrent depression which gives me an up to 1 in 5 chance of getting bipolar type 1 disorder isn't life fucking marvellous

    anyway take care i'm sorry if i come over all preachy and i know you're not on the needle, as i say i'm only posting up random shit you do need to know about and Matthew does have a point for God's sake be careful if there's a child involved

    i don't know anything about american child protection shit. here you'd never get a kid taken off you just for being an addict. one of my best friends has 3 and kept them all despite a heroin habit that went to 3g a day every day for years (she was dealing) and a rohypnol thing going on severe enough that she fell asleep against a gas fire and barbecued her arm

    look what you're getting into is sordid and nasty and it feels great

    just keep your eyes open and be aware

    how on earth, as an ordinary human being, are you going to get the same high as everybody else without the same lows? that's life i'm afraid and as you must already know, life is a fucking bitch

    be lucky

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am afraid of needles, but I'm not stupid enough to think "I'd NEVER use a needle." I hope I can quit before I get to that point. Heroin might(?) be cheaper, but I'd have no idea where to get it honestly. With my research, I've realized there isn't much difference between oxy and heroin habits besides the social stigma of "omg its the evil HERRON!" and I don't know if I want to get into that. Sounds scarier, though that could just be the stigma talking. Maybe I'm too white and suburban and mommy-ish to do that. I snort my oxys and when I want to actually get high (rarer and rarer these days) I smoke them off foil with a straw or taken-apart pen. The "forbidden" aspect of smoking pills sort of excites me. I know I can get bad, especially with how easily I went from my very first oxy to being the junky I am now. There is a lot about drugs and addiction I only know about through movies and the internet. I learned about smoking oxy from a documentary from south Florida called "Oxycontin Express" about a year before I ever tried it. Spoons I understand (that's for cooking up the heroin?) but "use your cottons" completely baffles me. Is that slang for something? I flush my used foils and snorting straws down the toilet when I'm done with them, or pack them into empty cig packs with snotty tissues on top to keep folks from finding them. Another good way to keep anyone from going through my trash is to throw away paraphernalia in the designated poopy-diaper can, which NO ONE in my life is going to dig through unless someone tossed a winning lotto ticket in there by mistake.

    Well anyway, I lost one of my 2 connections to the drug world and the other one is a total sketchbox (maybe he is on crack, I don't know, I've never even seen crack before) who I don't really want to have to rely on. My kid has met my dealer who just got arrested (never the sketchbox) but not while she was selling to me, only when our kids were hanging out because her daughter is friends with my daughter- they are the same age (give or take a few months) and even have the same first name. This girl is one of the main reasons I want to quit- she and I are so ALIKE and she's completely strung out to the point where a total stranger could tell just looking at her and she doesn't have custody of her kid, just weekend visitation. The dad is an addict too, so she's with the grandma. I'm terrified of ending up like her, now she's in jail. Screw that. I've been to jail once and that was enough. It was for underage drinking when I was 17 and I was only in there overnight. It was still enough. Hell, I quit drinking for good after that incident! Since getting released from the holding cell all those years ago, the only time I drink has been one beer/mixed drink/glass of wine, socially with friends while eating dinner. I think a hearty chili should be enjoyed with a Guiness Stout, but there's no way I could get drunk off one lonely beer especially on a gut full of chili and cornbread.

    Thanks for the advice from someone who knows. I don't want to be any worse than I am, where I am is bad enough for THIS white suburban mommy.

    -SecretJunky

    ReplyDelete
  7. then look for some help, NOW...go to NA,...find a rehab.,...etc. etc.. The saying that is so perfect to describe this is,..nothing changes if nothing changes....certainly not changing for the better, although things for you will likely change for the worse UNLESS you act to get better. Your parents learning about the truth is NOT the worst thing,..your addiction destroying your health and making you lose your child is much worse than that.

    ReplyDelete