Saturday, June 11, 2011

secret junkys in NA? i can't hear you...

Been going to meetings lately, already finding reasons I don't like it. At first, I couldn't relate to anyone there because all these people talking about robbing houses and copping crack in west Baltimore just is so far from my world. I was thinking there was no one there more like me, a "functioning addict", who works for a living or goes to school and raises a kid and holds it together but still can't seem to put the stuff down. But then I started thinking- if there are people like me there, they're secret junkys too. They aren't gonna put their business on blast in front of a room filled with 50 scary looking crackheads (or recovering crackheads). It's kind of hard to speak up, I guess. I talked to a couple chicks and they were both, again, far from my world. One told me I should immediately go to detox and then move into some halfway house that she lived at in the middle of the ghetto "where you can live with your kid". THAT sounds like a safe environment for a well-adjusted, sweet, slightly spoiled, Caucasian 2-year-old girl... not. I need to find someone there who I can relate to, another secret junky. I just don't know how to sniff these people out. I think I know about one woman, not sure but she's got all the junky tells. She's another mom at the preschool where my kid goes. Real expensive clothes, nice car, tiny pupils. I couldn't really say why, but she seems like a secret junky to me. I wonder if she can smell it on me. We only know each other to say hi how's the weather at the school or birthday parties.

5 comments:

  1. "I was thinking there was no one there more like me, a "functioning addict", who works for a living or goes to school and raises a kid and holds it together but still can't seem to put the stuff down."

    You are only a "fnctional junkie" because mommy and daddy provide a home, food, and childcare to you and your child.

    "THAT sounds like a safe environment for a well-adjusted, sweet, slightly spoiled, Caucasian 2-year-old girl... not."

    Sounds like we can now add racist to the list. And well adjusted- it's a hard for a child to be well adjusted when the mother is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pay for daycare myself, and buy groceries for me and my kid quite often. Also I do all the cooking and cleaning to earn my keep. What's wrong with a full-time college student living at home for a while to save on rent? Just because I'm a junky, that's suddenly shameful?

    And racist? Try realist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very "honorable" to buy groceries "quite often". We all do. If you don't come out of your defensive stance, you will never get off drugs and/or amount to anything and neither will your kid. You need to grow up. That's reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, saving on rent enables you to buy drugs. What a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I wasn't a junky, would you feel like I, as a full time college student and mother of a toddler, would "never amount to anything" because I live at home? I think you are projecting your addict's behavior onto me. I am not your kid. Just because 2 people have an addiction in common doesn't make them the same. I am my own person, I am almost a college graduate, I am a good mother, I should have my own place by the end of the year. Junky is only one of the things I am, it isn't my defining characteristic and it isn't all I'll ever be.

    -SJ

    ReplyDelete